Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

Gabriella (4), Wesley (10 weeks), William (2)
As you can see, one of my "New Year's resolutions" is to start writing in my blog. I created it over a year ago and I've only written THREE blogs! So it can only get better from here, right? It's been a busy year! With 3 little ones, 4 and under, time does NOT stand still.


I have a full life and I am truly blessed! I have a wonderful husband I LOVE doing life with, three happy kids, and very supportive family. More than I girl could ask for! Don't get me wrong. Life is stressful and sometimes overwhelming, but I know deep down, I have been given so many gifts. I know they are all from God and I am so happy to living this life with Him in charge.


So, on to New Year's Resolutions. Well... I've decided to do things differently this year. Yes, I have the usual goals... loose weight, get control of my finances, become a better wife and mother. All these things are good and needed, but I want to approach it from a different angle this year. Here are my thoughts:


1. I'm going to write down my resolutions.
For example, I want to loose my post-baby weight. No, not the weight I gained from my pregnancy. The 14 pounds I've gained AFTER I had Wesley. I know! Crazy huh! I think it was having him right before Thanksgiving that lead to my demise. I've been on a downhill spiral since his birth and desperately need to get back on track.
Photo: Ben Cunnington


2. Think about what I would like to "feel" after I have accomplished these resolutions. Narrow it down to three feelings and write them down.
For example, it's more than just loosing the weight. Yes, that would be great! However, my ultimate goal would be to feel healthy, have energy and be more confident in my skin. That is the end result I desire.


3. Decide if this goal will create these feelings I'm longing for.
For example, if I decided to exercise one hour a day, 6 days a week, I may loose the weight, but being stressed out from the process and worn out from the routine. However, if I decided to spend 20 min a day walking with my kids to the park and eating healthy to have more energy, I will get similar results and my feelings will follow what I've longed for.
Grandpa and William walking to the park 


So, at the end of this year, I want to make sure I am:
1. Connected - to God, my family and friends 
2. Energized - to have the ability to take care of myself and others 
3. Brave - to step out in faith and do some new things this year


This will be the "filter" for any resolutions I make today.  
To enjoy the process, not just the end result. I don't want to end another year with resolutions I've only kept for the first month of the year. I want to look back at this year and ask:

Did I feel these feelings this year? 

Did I enjoy the process? 

Am I more CONNECTED? 

Do I have more ENERGY? 

Have I stepped out and been more BRAVE? 




These are the questions I will be asking myself. This will be the filter of my resolutions. 


Happy New Year!
Debs



2 comments:

  1. Great article. Praying for your utmost success in each of these noble goals. There really is something significant about writing your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Deborah!! I needed to hear that balanced approach today! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...