Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fresh and Easy Meals - Apple Butternut Squash Soup


Okay... so this soup is SUPER EASY and SUPER CHEAP!!!! 
The total cost of the soup is: $16.02 
It should feed a family of 5, plus leftovers! 

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 large)
  • 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
  • 5 pounds butternut squash (2 large)
  • 1 1/2 pounds apples (4 apples)
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups good apple cider or juice

Okay... so you start with these SIMPLE Trader Joe's ingredients!
HINT: I have purchased the items as whole (not pre-cut) ingredients,
thinking I would cut them up and save money.
Honestly... the onions, apples and squash SIT in my fridge for months!


 I just "can't be bothered" to cut them up!
So... here is my suggestion.
 Go withe pre-cut items!
Yes... they are more EXPENSIVE ...
but the process is quicker and the item's won't go bad!

Here's what you will need: 
  • 1 pack of pre-cut Diced Onions: $1.59 
  • 6 bags of pre-cut Butternut Squash:  $1.99 per bag
  • 1 bag of Granny Smith Organic Apples: $ 2.49
Plus, some pantry items like: 
  • Olive Oil
  • Butter
  • Curry Powder 
  • Apple Juice
  • Water  
So... here is the process with pictures. 
I LOVE recipes with pictures!
Start with your pre-cut Onions, Olive Oil and Butter on MEDIUM/LOW heat.
(I'm not a Chef, but I think adding the Olive Oil and Butter together, helps the butter not to burn?) 
Add your Curry Powder. (I used a Garam Masala Spice Blend)
Since I have English family, I tend to stock up on different curry blends when visiting the UK.
 However, a simple curry powder will do the trick! 
Now... turn the burned on low... I have an electric stove so I set the burner between 2 and 3.
You'll want it to be low enough and cook it slow enough
that the onions and curry powder turn into a paste. 
Awe... there it is! It will take around 30 min. I know it seems like A LOT of time,
but I washed the dishes and fed the kids while it cooked. 

Now you add the butternut Squash, Apples and Apple Juice or Cider. 
I used 2 Cups of Apple Juice and 1 Cups of Water.
If you prefer it less sweet, you can less Apple Juice instead. 
Turn up the heat until it's at a low boil.
Then turn it down to a low simmer and let it steam for 30-40 min.
Okay, check the Butternut Squash and Apple with a fork and make sure they are soft.
Now take your Emulsifier and blend the soup.
It will still have some small chunks, but should be mostly liquid.
Okay..., Here is the final soup!
(Add Salt and Pepper to your taste preference)

It's one of the most incredible soup you will EVER taste.
People will ask you, "What is the flavor?" It's the Curry powder!

It's takes the SWEETNESS of the Butternut Squash,
the BITTERNESS of the Green Apples
and the SAVORY flavor of the curry powered...
and it make it the most FLAVORFUL soup you will every have! 

Cheers! Until we meet again. 
Debsx 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...